In this assessment, you are required to read Assessment 4 (Research Network Design) and research a range of options/methods that can be used for network designing in Assessment 4. Based on your research you are required to post your views on pros and cons of each available option for the completion of Assessment 4 and select an option that you will use to complete that assessment.
In your post you must also justify the reasons behind your selection. Your post will be marked on:
- Expressing your professional viewpoint on the topic.
- Justifying your viewpoint with valid and credible evidence.
You are also required to provide constructive comments on at least oneother student’s post. The final marks for this assessment will be provided along with Assessment 4.
This is a practical assessment and will enhance and test your practical skills related to the subject topic.
Students are required to set up a network consisting of PCs, routers, switches and servers. You will need to configure routing between routers, use any dynamic routing protocol. The PCs (clients) will be connected to switches and switches to the router’s interfaces. Clients and Servers are connected on different networks (don’t attach clients and servers on same network).
Client(s) <–> Switch <–> Router <–> Router <–> Switch <–> Server(s)
To complete this assessment you are expected to refer to information beyond the text book. This assignment is open; in that you are free to choose the devices or software you use to complete the specified tasks. Students are expected to accomplish this task by utilising the necessary commands discussed in lectures and also described in the prescribed text book.
There are numerous web sites available that discuss networking , however you MUSTlist your sources of information for the different tasks. When completing this project, you may encounter errors or experience difficulties getting your setup to work. If this occurs, your challenge is to analyse why they happen and report on how you solved the problems you encountered.
Task 1 – Setting up a Network[10 marks]
Perform the following activities and support your workings with screenshots [10 marks]:
- Configure the PCs, Server and Router interfaces with appropriate network addressing;
- Configure any classless dynamic routing protocol on the routers;
- On any client, ping the client’s own network interfaces, then the local router gateway interface, then the remote router interface, then the servers. Check full network conductivity;
- Use the traceroute command from the client to the server. Include results of the traceroute in your submission, explaining meaning of traceroute output.
Task 2 – Configuring Network Services[10 marks]:
Using the same network topology that you have setup in Task 1, perform the following additional activities
- DHCP: Configure DHCP servers and show that the client PC has successfully received IP Addresses and other network parameters (default gateway, subnet mask and DNS IP address) using DHCP
- WEB Server: Configure WEBs server on the dedicated machines in their specified networks, with URL as yourname.csu.org
- DNS: Configure DNS Servers on the server device and demonstrate that forward and reverse DNS are working from the client PC; test DNS Server by browsing yourname.csu.org from client PC, DNS must resolve this URL to IP address of WEB Server
- Firewall: Configure traffic filtering on the web servers to block ONLY HTTP TCP traffic between one of the client PCs and WEB Servers and allowing all other IP traffic, provide evidence of such traffic filtering. You should verify firewall by using PING and HTTPS TCP traffic which should not be blocked.
A series of screenshots with commentary on each of the required tasks is to be submitted. The submission mustinclude a comprehensive explanation of each task in your own words and all the commands used along with the output (or final result) in report format. No description or lack of comprehensive description will result in deduction of marks.
Task 3[5 marks]
Task 3 has been designed to detect and prevent unauthorized assistance with your work. This task is a question and answer session with your lecturer. You must contact your lecturer aftersubmitting your assessment to book an individual appointment. Your lecturer will advise on how to book individual one-on-one sessions, for online students these may be over the phone or Skype sessions. Failure to contact your lecturer may result in loss of marks associated with this task.