Interim Report: The Interim Report contains all the information from the proposal and needed to complete the analysis of the decision problem except that it should not include the final numerical calculations or conclusion. The interim report should be approximately 4-5 total pages in length – inclusive of your Proposal work.
Use the following outline for the interim report:
- Background:Briefly describe the history of the problem including its cause(s) and the result of any previous attempts to solve this or similar problems. If the problem affects more that one stakeholder, describe each of them and the basis for their concerns.
- Problem Statement: This should be redefined from your proposal. Overview of the decision problem and the major considerations in analyzing it. Keep your problem statement concise.
- Objective(s): What are the goals of the decision concerning the problem? List all of the objectives and place them in categories. These categories maybe areas like saving money, improving sales, increasing productivity, etc.
- Decision Alternatives: Describe the process used to determine alternatives (Nominal Group Think, brainstorming, meetings, research, etc.); including a discussion of other alternatives that seem relevant and the reasons these were not analyzed. Describe the final set of alternative (What are your choices?) used in the decision analysis. Keep this area simple…no need to get into any discussion on the alternatives or how they will be evaluated. Save that for the next section.
- Evaluation Considerations and Evaluation Measures: Describe the process used to determine evaluation considerations and evaluation measures, including a discussion of other evaluation considerations that seem relevant and the reasons that they were not included. What is important to the decision maker, (the person who will ultimately implement your recommendations)? Weigh the various items (for example – “office supplies” – what is more important to the decision maker – cost, time or quality? Relocating a company may include: distance to the customers, cost of various locations, impact on sales etc.
- Resources:A final list of resources to be utilized / consulted to assist in making your decision.