ITECH1103- Big Data and Analytics Group Assignment – Semester 1, 2019
Weight – 20%
Due Date: Analytic Report -Due Week 11 Friday 16:00
Analytic Report: Learning Outcomes Assessed: A3, K3, K6, and S2:
Purpose: The purpose of this task is to provide students with practical experience in working in teams to write a data
analytical report to provide useful insights, pattern and trends in the chosen/given dataset. This activity will give
students the opportunity to show innovation and creativity in applying SAS Analytics, and designing useful
visualization and predictive solutions for various analytics problems.
This is a group assignment and you will complete the task with your team. Your team will be made up of at most 3
members who are all enrolled in the same laboratory – the teams will be allocated by your tutor. It is expected that
each team member will contribute equally to the project.
Your team will use an analytical tool (i.e SAS Visual Analytics) to explore, analyze and visualize the dataset provided.
You will receive feedback on the draft about presentation choices, content, analysis, and style.
The aim is to use the data set allocated to provide interesting insights, trends and patterns amongst the data. Your
intended audience is the CEO and middle management of the Federal Aviation Administration who are responsible for
overseeing the airline industry in America.
In addition, each individual team member will write a short reflection as part of the report on their individual
experience on working on the project.
• Task 1- Background information – Write a description of the dataset and project, and its importance for the
organization. Discuss the main benefits of using visual analytics to explore big data. In this you should include
a justification for using the visualizations that you will use and how they have been successful in other similar
projects. This discussion should be suitable for a general audience. Information must come from at least 6
appropriate sources (2 per student) be appropriately referenced. [2 to 3 pages]
• Task 2 – Reporting / Dashboards – For your project, perform the relevant data analysis tasks by answering the
guided questions provided (see Appendix for questions and dataset) and, identify the visualization you need
Note: remove any missing data points from your visualizations where possible/suitable
• Task 3 – Additional Visualizations – In addition to the guided questions, it is expected that each student will
provide at least two other visualizations of the data (i.e. for a group of 3 students this is 6 extra visualizations).
These additional visualizations will be judged in terms of quality of the findings and complexity of analysis.
• Task 4 – Justification -Justify why these visualizations are chosen in Task 2 and 3. Note: To ensure that you
discuss this task properly, you must include visual samples of the reports you produce (i.e. the screenshots of
the BI report/dashboard must be presented and explained in the written report; use ‘Snipping tool’), and also
include any assumptions that you may have made about the analysis in your Task 2 (i.e. the report to the
operational team of the company).[1 to 2 pages]
• Task 5 – Discussion of findings – using the visualizations created discuss the findings from the data set. In this
discussion you should explain what each visualization shows. Then summarize the main findings. [3 to 4 pages]
• Task 6 – Executive Summary – summary of the data analysis including a brief introduction, methods used and
CRICOS Provider No. 00103D ITECH 1103 Group Report Semester 1 2019 Page 2 of 4
a list of the key findings [1 page only]
• Task 7 – The Reflection (Individual Task) – each team member is expected to write a brief reflection about this
project in terms of challenges, learning and contribution. [1 to 2 pages]