- Contact Us
- Homework Answers
- Not a Member? Sign up!
wizard kim4.3 (22)4.8 (2k+)Chatwork
Module 4 Discussion
2929 unread replies.2929 replies.
In this, our final(!) discussion I am asking you to reflect on the impact that Census Data have had, and will continue to have, on urban policy-making in the U.S.
In a perfect world we could assume that Census Data are perfectly accurate. In an even more perfect world we might not even need to generate Census Data using questionnaires that some folks find intrusive and other folks find threatening. But in our world the fact of the matter is that although Census Data about urban areas are incredibly accurate, they are not perfect. There are biases, flaws, and unintended consequences of running a survey that seeks to count 100% of the population regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexuality, immigration status, age, criminal history, social affiliations, etc.
You’ve read several articles in this module that detail not only what leads to Census under-counts, but also where those under-counts are likely to occur and to which groups that are most devastating.
For your response post I would like for you to do some original research (web or otherwise) and bring back to us one news item that relates to the impact of Census under-counts in U.S. urban areas. Describe the news item, why it is relevant to our topic this module, and offer your thoughts on it. Please also set up your discussion of this news item by first detailing at least two notable pieces of information that you learned from the reading this week (be sure to cite each using bold).
Discussion response guidelines for module 4:
· Your discussion response post must engage directly with the discussion question that appears above, and must refer to reading material presented in this module.
· Your discussion response post must include:
**TWO DIRECT QUOTES (including citation with page number) from the reading. Direct quotes must be made bold in the text of your response.
**At least ONE link to relevant news item. The link should be described and contextualized in the text of your response.
· Minimum original post length: 400 words.
Peer reply guidelines for module 4:
· You are responsible for TWO peer reply posts. Both reply posts must be completed prior to 11:59pm on Friday night.
· Reply posts are responses that you make either to an original post or reply post that has been contributed by another student. Your objective is to participate substantively in a conversationthat another student has started.
· Reply posts must include:
**At least one direct quote (including citation with author, date, and page number) from the assigned reading for that module or one reference to an outside source (website, news item) that includes a link. Direct quote or reference to outside source must be made bold in the text of the reply.
· Minimum reply length: 200 words.
Module 4 Reading
1. From CivilRights.org (Links to an external site.), ‘How Census Data Affects Your Community
‘ (Retrieved 2016, civilrights.org (Links to an external site.)). | Please read the entire document.
2. From USA Today, ‘Census continues to undercount blacks, Hispanics and kids
‘ (2012, Sanders). | Please read the entire document.
3. From The LA Times, ‘The Census Bureau undercounts Latinos. It’ll take more than technology to fix that
.’ (2016, Emig & Vargas) | Please read the entire document.
4. From The New York Times, ‘Survey Hints at a Census Undercount in New York City
‘ (2011, Roberts) | Please read the entire document.
5. From The American Prospect, ‘An Insidious Way to Underrepresent Minorities
‘ (2015, Bass & Schless-Meier) | Please read the entire document.
- Posted: 23 days ago
Purchase the answer to view it
Buy tutorial $14Save time and money!
Our teachers already did such homework, use it as a reference!
- Applied Sciences
- Architecture and Design
- Business & Finance
- Computer Science
- Environmental science
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems
- Political Science
- Social Science