Can you help me understand this Computer Science question?
The chief technology officer (CTO) has indicated that your organization has been requested by the National Security Council (NSC) to comment on the upcoming National Cybersecurity Strategy. The NSC has asked for specific recommendations as it relates to the next cybersecurity strategy, private/public partnerships, and comments on how specific technologies should be incorporated into the assessment
PART 1: PROTECTING CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND THE HOMELAND
- The Department of Defense (DoD) Cyber Strategy 2018 discusses the protection of critical infrastructure and the homeland.
- What does that mean to private organizations such as yours?
- If most critical infrastructure in the United States is owned by the private sector, what responsibility does the DoD have in this regard?
- Some would argue US laws are outdated and thus the DoD has little authority to assist. Others would argue US laws were purposely established such that the private sector would defend itself and not need assistance from the military. Obviously, for the DoD to assist, it would need the private organizations’ data. Said another way, the DoD would need your data as a private citizen/customer of that organization. Those that believe our laws need to be updated argue giving up privacy for protection is legitimate.
- Others will argue that we should not give private information of citizens to the government for any reason. As a citizen, would you feel comfortable with this? As a private organization, would you feel comfortable giving information that may contain your customers’ private data to the DoD?
- Is there a third solution (middle ground) you would propose that enables privacy but also enables cybersecurity?
PART 2: CYBERSECURITY TECHNOLOGIES
- The authors of the National Security Strategy (NSS) are looking to address particular technologies that have the opportunity to revolutionize cybersecurity. They believe that blockchain technology is a revolutionary technology that has the ability to significantly improve cybersecurity.
- What would be your recommendation for how the NSS should incorporate this technology to the public?
- Propose exactly what you believe should be written in the NSS. Specifically, explain the blockchain technology in layman’s terms to nontechnical people that may be reading the NSS, give examples of how it could be used to provide revolutionary cybersecurity, include examples of how it is being used to provide cybersecurity solutions, and discuss what, if any policies or laws should be established to mandate its use in specific industries.
- A minimum length of 3 pages per part.
- Use additional sources and references as needed and be sure to critically analyze the questions, addressing the pros and cons in your proposal.
- Use visuals where appropriate