Please read the directions carefully and complete ALL parts of the assignment. Paper should be at least 750 words and try to keep it under 1500 words. Your report must offer an analytic study comparing and contrasting the reading assignment(s) as it pertains to the movie. Papers will be submitted in Word Document and should be more than research/report papers; they must reveal your reflection and analysis. You must draw on material from the course readings related to your movie choice as you make the respective connections throughout your paper. Please note that you are not simply summarizing the film. The focus of this paper will be related to particular elements depicted in the film and their relation to concepts encountered throughout the readings.
- Offer a brief sketch (summary/overview) of the movie, including note of topic, major scenes, and underlying themes.
- Specify the primary focus of the movie and how it is addressed. Think about this as the question the movie is trying to answer, problem to be solved, issue to be clarified.
- Identify at least three key terms or concepts related to our study of religion, Christian themes in the movie, note their meaning, and explain how the movie uses them to develop the story.
- Specify the movie’s most important points and explain why they are important.
- Explain what the movie is saying about Christian subjects.
Here are some suggestions and possible inquiries:
How does the film address the Questions of Ultimate Concern in Christianity?
Name five themes discussed in this movie related to the concept(s) located in the Course Material contained in the Course Packet, Ellwood Text, deChant Primer, Documentary, and/ or the Power Point Lectures.
Does this film best represent the myth of history, myth of liberation, or myth of harmony? Why?
Compare and contrast the character (business) of Scrooge versus those ideals in Christianity.
What are some “religious symbols” and particularly Christianity revealed in the scene with Jacob Marley’s Ghost?
What are some religious, Christian ideals displayed by the Spirit guides?
What did you find particularly interesting, as it relates to Christianity with the visits by the Ghosts?
What are the similarities between Scrooge’s “conversion” and Christianity?
The movie is A christmas carol (1999) link below: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216621/