- Must have read Seedfolks.Must bring completed “Making Connections Strategy” assignment for Seedfolks and the book to class.
- The authors of Mosaic of Thought, Strategies That Work, and I Read It, But I Don’t Get It, and When Kids Can’t Read suggest a reading strategy that involves students accessing and using their prior knowledge (schema) and experiences to better understand what they are reading by making textual connections between the text and their lives.
- Read the “Making Connections” handout. As you read Seedfolks, code the text with post-it notes to reflect the following connections when you are reading:
- text-to-self connection (connection to past experiences and prior knowledge),
- text-to-text connection (connection to a book, an article, a movie, a script or song, or anything that is written down), and
- text-to-world connection (connection to an event, person, or issue). After reading, move the Post-It notes to the reading response page.
book link seed folks http://stsimondicroce.blogspot.com/2013/09/novel-s…
- Essay must be typed
- 2-3 pages, double-spaced, 12 point font
- Outside research is not required for this assignment
APA Style in Brief
Brief examples are below.
Quotes in the text of your paper:
Direct quotes happen when you take all or part of an author’s words and use them in your writing.You need to cite the author, date of publication/copyright, and page number.
“Students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time” (Jones, 1998, p. 199).
According to Jones (1998), “Students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time” (p. 199).
References at the end of your paper:
For your reference list, you will need the complete citation.Here is an example.
Think about how you reacted to the text.Did you like it or not?Why or why not?What were your favorite or least favorite parts?Why?How did you or did you not connect to the text?
Write an essay in which you describe your reaction to the text and your connections with the text.Introduce the essay with a general reaction to the text.
In the body of your essay, organize your paper based on each reaction and connection.
Use examples of events from the text to support these connections and reactions.
Include at least one quote from the text that supports your reactions or connections.
Close the essay with final thoughts.
DO NOT SUMMARIZE OR WRITE A CRITIQUE/REPORT OF THE BOOK.I have read the book multiple times and do not need to see summary or critique.This essay is for you to discuss the personal connection(s) you made to the novel.
Include a Works Cited page. (in this case, probably the only text you will cite is Seedfolks.)
Refer to back of this page.