- Watch the Unit 1 Lecture. (click here for transcripts)
- Read the following scenario
You, a new behavior analyst, are preparing for your first staff training in your new job as a Behavior Analyst for a group of 10 group homes. You have been allotted 10-15 minutes to introduce the basic behavior concepts and principles to the staff. You have come up with a list of topics you want to cover (below).
- The 3-term contingency and the environment’s role in selecting behavior
- Brief descriptions of how positive and negative reinforcement explain the occurrence of undesirable behavior excesses. Give an example of each.
- Highlight the difference between negative reinforcement and punishment (You want to make sure they don’t confuse the two!). Give an example.
- Finish by using the 7 dimensions of behavior to describe how you, a behavior analyst, approach interventions with your clients.
Write out your explanations for the topics (above). The examples you use should be examples of behavior the staff of the group homes might see on a daily basis – you want your examples to be relatable.
Review two of your classmates’ posts to assess the following:
Was each topic covered thoroughly? If you were a staff member sitting in this meeting, what questions would you have (meaning, were any explanations unclear)?
Check the peer’s post for accuracy – were positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, and punishment explained accurately? If not, provide an accurate explanation. What about the examples? If the examples were incorrect, provide correct examples.
Reading and Resources
Read the following:
Read Chapter 2 in Applied Behavior Analysis: “Basic Concepts and Principles”
Read Chapter 3 in Applied Behavior Analysis: “Selecting and Defining Target Behaviors” pp. 67-70 on Defining Target Behaviors
Read the following article located in the university library:
Baer, D. M., Wolf, M. M., & Risley, T. R. (1968). Some current dimensions of applied behavior analysis. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 1(1), 91-97.
John O. Cooper, Timothy E. Heron, and William L. Heward: Applied Behavior Analysis (2019) 3rd Edition Publisher: Pearson
Raymond Miltenberger: Behavior Modification. Principles and Procedures (2016) 6th Edition. Publisher: Cengage Learning