Project: Getting a Job
Your program of study in the Bachelor of Science in Child Development has prepared you academically for positions in the field of early childhood and child development and/or to further your education for jobs that require advanced degrees. Now it is time to hone your skills in getting a job in the field.
For your Project this week, imagine that you are applying for a specific job. In order to apply, you will need to:
- Develop your resume.
- Write a cover letter to accompany your resume. (Be sure to state what the job is in your cover letter. Also, for the purposes of this Project, take your imagination one step further and come up with a fictitious person and workplace to address your letter to.)
By Day 3:
Post your cover letter and resume to the Doc Sharing area of the course, so that your colleagues can review your cover letter/resume and provide feedback to you during this week’s Discussion.
Then, proceed to this week’s Discussion.
Proceed to the Discussion after uploading your cover letter and resume to Doc Sharing.
By Day 7:
After participating in this week’s Discussion, revise your cover letter and resume according to suggestions you find helpful. Submit your revised cover letter and resume.
- Course Text: Bolles, R. N. (2018). What color is your parachute? A practical manual for job-hunters and career-changers (2018 ed.). Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- Chapter 2, “Google is Your New Resume?”
- Web Site: 4 Steps: How to Write a Cover Letterhttp://susanireland.com/letter/how-to/
- Use your your favorite search engine (e.g., Google or Metacrawler) for guidance on writing your resume (type “tips on writing a resume” or “examples of resumes”).
- Additional Online Resources for Your Project (Note: You may also find other resources on your own):
- Cover Letters.com: Common Letter Writing Mistakeshttp://www.cover-letters.com/Cover-Letters/About-Cover-Letters/How-To-Write-A-Great-Letter/28-Common-Letter-Writing-Mistakes.aspx
- Sample Cover Letter for Teachinghttp://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverlettersamples/a/covereducation.htm
- Resume Cover Lettershttp://www.bestsampleresume.com/resume-cover-letter.html
- Resume Writing Guidehttp://www.bestsampleresume.com/resume-writing.html
- JobStar Centralhttp://jobstar.org/tools/resume/index.php
- Resume – Cover Letter Centerhttp://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumes/a/resumecenter.htm
- OWL: Purdue Online Writing Labhttp://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/6/