NOTE: YOU WILL ONLY REVIEW YouTube CONCERTS UNTIL THE SOCIAL DISTANCING MEASURES ARE LIFTED!
You may disregard the “live concert requirement” until that time. I will post YouTube concert links and instructions in the “Concerts to Stream for Review” section.
Please follow directions for the Written Review section below.
- This is Concert Review #1 for the first of TWO concerts you will attend this semester.
- BOTH concerts MUST be “formal,” sit-down concerts. Genres include: jazz, opera, symphonic, chamber music, “world” music (i.e. Japanese classical, Indonesian gamelan, etc), experimental, etc. Try to get outside your comfort zone – the idea is to try something new!
- Pop concerts and cafe/restaurant performances are NOT acceptable (with the exception of pop concerts on the Cuyamaca College Performing Arts Concert Series).
- Please provide both proof of attendance and a review of the performance.
- Questions? Please email me!
PROOF OF ATTENDANCE
You can use common sense when providing proof of attendance. I need the date and some sort of proof you were physically there. The following will be accepted as proof that you attended the concert:
1. Photo of the concert program &/OR ticket stub. NO MOVIES OR VIDEOS! Only still images.
2. If there was no program or ticket, a selfie at the venue with a poster or some other obvious sign that you were at a concert will be fine.
THE WRITTEN REVIEW
1. Provide 1-2 paragraphs describing the concert you attended and the music performed in formal, academic language.
2. Give TITLES of pieces/songs and GENRE or type of music played (jazz, baroque, opera, romantic, etc).
3. Give the HISTORY of the music played.
4. What instruments were played?
5. Write about the performers themselves: where are they from, what is their background, what do they play?
6. What is your own response to the performance and the music? Like it? Love it or Hate it? Why?
7. Write about the substance of the performance and the music and your response to it ONLY. (I don’t need to know what you had for dinner or how traffic was getting to the venue.)
8. Upload your essay in PDF or DOC(X) format ONLY! You can receive a zero if I cannot read your essay.