Kant’s 2nd Categorical Imperative demands that you should always treat employees as an “end-in-themselves” and not as a means, a tool, a resource. Treating employees as “ends-in-themselves” makes you a morally good person (HR-manager).
Question: To be morally good, can HRM ever treat employees as “ends-in-themselves” and not as means, a tool, a resource?
Your essay should contain three sections:
1. A theoretical perspective to discuss Utilitarianism and the Happiness Principle Utilitarianism: Bentham: “the greatest pleasure for the greatest number” Your action should achieve pleasure. see: Klikauer 2010: 47-67 & Klikauer 2012: (pp.159-167).
2. What is HRM/CPM; and
3. How the two (a & b) can be reconciled, if at all.
4. Essential: You Must Read – Sources (excerpts are on vUWS): Bolton, S. C. & Houlihan, M. 2007. Searching for the human in HRM: theory, practice and workplace contexts, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
5. It is advisable to watch Moral Philosopher Peter Singer at the Sydney Opera House in 2015.
Your essay is about “Kant’s categorical Imperative on “means and ends and HRM”
Your essay is about “German Philosopher Immanuel Kant and Human Resource Management (HRM) and the ethics of HRM. It is designed to allow students to:
– Explain the ethical contribution of “HRM”.
– Describe Kant’s ethical “categorical imperative” (on means vs. ends) in relations to HRM.
– Develop communication skills appropriate for participating in people management.
The ethics of contemporary people management and human resource management:
– Chapter 15 of your textbook is about “Ethics and HRM”.
– Do not sum up different versions of human ethics in your essay (this is not a report).
– Do not discuss too many issues – focus on “a few” issues (e.g. ethics, Kant, means, vs. ends) and discuss these in detail.
– Do not have sub-headings in your essay (these are for reports NOT essays).
– Write in “essay format”: “your” introduction introduces the subject (how will I argue).
– Your essay_ might follow this suggested sequence:
1. Introduction (what is the issue and “HOW” will I construct my essay_)
2. moral philosophy, Kantianism, “Means VERSUS Ends” (2nd Categorical Imperative)
3. outline the core elements of human resource management
4. how do “Kant’s “Means-vs.-Ends” dictum and human resource management relate to each other
5. Conclusion: ’what can we learn from all this?
– Your essay should contain:
1. A theoretical perspective to discuss Kant’s “Second Formulation: The Formula of Humanity” (Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never merely as a means to an end, but always at the same time as an end. Immanuel Kant, Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals).