Degree of burden experienced by a caregiver depends on several contextual factors such as sociodemographic status, culture, and social support. Cultural norms and values play a significant role in how individuals and families understand health, illness, and caregiving. These norms and values often dictate who might serve as the primary caregiver for a sick family member, where caregiving might take place, and the nature of outside support a caregiver might access.
An integral component of the medical social work profession is to prioritize the needs and goals of the entire family system. Medical social workers understand not only the needs of patients, but also those of caregivers. When determining effective interventions, social workers must consider the cultural context in which care is being given and received.
To prepare for this Discussion:
Consider your own culture (African American) and how caregiving is perceived and enacted within your community.
Post a 5-6-minute video (I just need the transcript) in which you do the following:
· Describe caregiver roles and responsibilities within your family or community.
· Identify how age, gender, marital status, or other identity characteristic determines who performs what type of caregiving role.
· Explain how cultural factors or traits might contribute to or alleviate caregiver burden, as well as affect caregiver well-being and quality of life. Provide specific examples to justify your response.
· Explain culturally appropriate interventions you might implement to relieve caregiver burden for someone who belongs to this cultural group.
· Explain the importance of culturally sensitive interventions for alleviating caregiver burden. Identity specific steps a social worker can take to advocate for this group.
Script It is highly recommended that you write a script before recording your video. A good guide for translating the length of your written script into video time is about 135 words per minute.
Include a transcript and/or edit closed captioning on your video to ensure your video is accessible to colleagues with differing abilities.