I’m working on a Art & Design exercise and need support.
PROJECT 3: REWRITE HISTORY
The purpose of this project is to demonstrate your understanding of the following course concepts:
1. How to create a composition.
2. How to work with layers and layer masks.
3. How to work with blending techniques.
4. How to add images.
This project requires you to use Photoshop composite techniques to create a multi-layer image that “realistically” places you (or someone else IF you strongly object in using your own photograph) in a significant event in history.
Here is an example. Note the young woman in the background (left).
Please complete the following tasks:
1. Select a historical event.
2. Find a photograph of the historical event.
3. Take a photo of yourself or use an existing photo.
4. Use compositing techniques to successfully blend your photo into the historical photo so that it appears realistic and seamless.
5. Create layers for different elements in the design. The layers should be kept in the PSD file. Please do not merge layers before submitting your composition.
NOTE 1: In order to prevent the issue with limited file submission size of LEO, you can upload the files to google drive, one drive, or Dropbox and share the folder for the project with me, and submit the link as a part of your submission.
Width: 5 inches
Height: 7 inches
Resolution: 300 Pixels/Inch
Page Orientation: Portrait (Tall)
Color Mode: CMYK
Please submit the following to the Assignments Folder:
1. The original historical photograph.
2. The photo of you.
3. The completed Photoshop (.PSD) file. PLEASE do not merge the layers together!
4. A JPEG (.JPG) version of the completed project.
5. Submit a Project Reflection (see details below):
Answer the following questions when you submit your assignments files.
1. What historical event did you select and why?
2. Where did you find your historical photograph (include URL if image was downloaded from the Internet)?
3. What Photoshop techniques (e.g. layers, blending, etc) did you use to create your composition (describe what you did to complete the assignment)?
4. What software applications did you use to complete your project?
5. What issues or challenges did you face completing this project?
Please submit your Project Reflection as a Microsoft Word document or just copy and paste your answers in your Assignments Folder’s text box when you submit your assignment along with the rest of the required project files.
ADVANCED CHALLENGE (NO CREDIT)
If completing this assignment was not much of a challenge for you, consider completing the Advanced Challenge below:
1. Add a second person to the historical photograph.
RECOMMENDED DUE DATE WEEK 6 | HARD DUE DATE TUESDAY, END OF WEEK 7 | 11:59 PM EASTERN TIME (ET)
Late Penalty: There is no late penalty for this project. You can submit (and resubmit) this assignment until the end of Week 7, Tuesday, 11:59PM ET. The Assignments Folder will then be closed and you will not be able to to physically submit (or resubmit) the assignment for a grade.
Exceptions may be allowed, on a case-by-case basis, for life situations (military deployment, medical illness, death in the family, etc). In all cases, timely notification of a “life situation” is critical to the approval of any extensions. All exceptions must be accompanied by official documentation, which is subject to inspection and approval. Work load, course load, vacations, or bad memory are not acceptable excuses.
Running Close to the Deadline?: Please do not wait until the last minute to submit your assignment. Give yourself at least a 5-hour window to account for any technical difficulties that might arise. If you experience technical difficulties beyond your control that do not allow you to successfully complete the assignment, immediately follow the steps below:
Step 1: Contact UMGC 360 Help and Support. Inform them off the problem you are having. Get a problem ticket number from them to document the situation.
Step 2: E-mail me ASAP and include a description of the problem you are having and your problem ticket number from 360 Help and Support, so I can investigate the situation.
Step 3: Attempt to attach your assignment to a message to me inside of LEO.
Step 4: E-mail the assignment to me.
This project is worth 25 points or 25% of your total grade for the course.
You will lose points for issues such as: not following directions, not submitting your work on time, and failure to include all required elements. Each omission will result in a partial point deduction.
SUBMITTING YOUR ASSIGNMENT
To complete this project and receive full credit, you must submit your completed presentation to your Assignments Folder unless you encounter problems–discussed above).
CYA (COPY YOUR ASSIGNMENT)
Please make sure you keep a copy of your project stored on your computer. Technical difficulties do happen–you may need to resubmit your assignment for a number of reasons. It is always a good policy to CYA!
Please contact me in advance if you are having problems understanding what is required of you.
DO YOUR OWN WORK
UMGC has strict policies regarding turning in work that is not 100% your own creation. I will enforce these policies.
VERIFY YOUR ASSIGNMENT HAS BEEN POSTED (*** VERY IMPORTANT ***)
It is your responsibility to make sure you have posted your assignment CORRECTLY! Once you have posted your assignment, immediately attempt to view it, just to make sure your post was accepted by LEO, that it is formatted correctly, and you have posted the correct file.
Photograph example (credit).
NOTE 2: You will be held responsible for posting your assignments correctly so make sure you double-check that your assignment has been submitted by revisiting the assignment folder and trying to view your submissions after you post them.
NOTE 3: Several photos are attached if you would like to use them. They are from Flickr Creative Commons.