M2 Assignment: Evaluating a Business Transformation
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
- Identify the responsibilities of various business employees as they consider a potential transformation to an e-business model.
As organizations transform from brick-and-mortar models to e-business models, it affects many individuals and departments, each of which has specific roles in evaluating a proposed business transformation.
Form small groups and consider a specific business for a potential transformation to an e-business model. Each group member assumes the role of a specific employee (or representative from a department) and considers the roles, responsibilities, and effects upon them and/or their department in the proposed transformation. Discuss your group’s findings and present a decision to either pursue or not pursue the transformation, including reasoning or justification for the decision.
Your instructor will assign one of these businesses:
- Growing retailer of non-perishable consumer products (electronics and books)
- Small but flourishing local business with one or two locations (florist and pizza restaurant)
- Medium-sized manufacturer struggling in a challenging market (automotive and electronics)
- Medium-sized service organization with several locations (law firm and accounting firm)
- Senior manager or owner
- Information technology (IT) professional or manager
- Marketing department (or outside agency)
- Salesman or sale department
- Labor or employee
- Accountant or finance department
- Identify responsibilities for various individuals and departments in the organization during and after the proposed transformation.
- Consider the effects of the transformation on each individual or department in the organization.
- Weigh the positive and negative aspects of the transformation on each individual and department, as well as the organization as a whole.
- Develop a group decision to either pursue or not pursue the proposed transformation.
You must defend your choices with valid rationale.
At the end of the activity, submit a written summary of your conclusions.
- Format: Microsoft Word (or compatible)
- Font: Arial, 12-Point, Double-Space
- Citation Style: Follow your school’s preferred style guide
- Length: 1–2 pages
- I helped identify responsibilities for the individual or department assigned to me, both during and after the proposed transformation.
- I considered the effects of the transformation on my individual or department in the organization.
- I weighed the positive and negative aspects of the transformation on my individual or department, as well as the organization as a whole.
- I helped develop a group decision to either pursue or not pursue the proposed transformation.
- I summarized my group’s decision along with rationale.
- I followed the submission guidelines.