I need help with a English question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
I just need 2 classmate responses done.
Now that you’ve finished watching a video on the workshopping process, let’s put what you learned to practice! On this page and the next, you’ll use a guide to help workshop one of your peer’s submissions of Assignment 1: Annotations and Writing Plan, focusing specifically on source summary, credibility, and your peer’s main argument. As stated in the video, it’s important to be honest and thorough during the workshopping process. Your job is to help your peer determine how clear their intended argument is and how well the sources they have found support that argument.
To complete this workshop activity, follow the steps below:
- Copy and paste your Annotations and Writing Plan into the discussion forum below to create your initial post by Thursday, 11:59 p.m. of your local time zone.
- While in the discussion forum, select a post made by another student to workshop. Once you have selected the Annotations and Writing Plan you will workshop, leave a note in reply to your peer’s discussion thread. Now you’re ready to walk through the workshopping process!
- Read through your peer’s post carefully, and then answer the following questions in a response post by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. of your local time zone:
- In your own words, identify the argument of your peer’s persuasive essay. What are they aiming to prove?
- Has your peer adequately addressed opposing viewpoints?
- Which of the summaries (or which sections of the summaries) could use more clarification? How could your peer’s summaries be improved? Please paste an example and, if appropriate, offer your own edits.
- Has your peer provided adequate credentialing information? If so, how can you tell the source is credible? If not, what could your peer add to note the reliability of the source?
- Do the sources your peer describes in the annotated bibliography connect to their argument in a clear and easy-to-understand manner? If so, how so? If not, what are some ways in which your peer could strengthen those connections?
- Does your peer acknowledge a counter-argument in one of the annotations? If a counterargument is presented, do they provide a persuasive rebuttal? If no counterargument is presented, can you anticipate some of the objections your peer should take into consideration?
- Evaluate the sources your peer has selected. Which sources do you find to be the strongest? Why do you think they are strong, and how do they support your peer’s key points? Are there ways the sources could support those key points that your peer has overlooked? Be specific.
Before you begin writing, please review the writing workshop discussion rubric below to make sure you fulfill all of the required tasks in your response.
Writing Workshop Discussion Rubric
Requirements for Writing Workshop
Students are required to post one initial post (1) and to follow up with one response post (1) for the Writing Workshop Discussion assignment.
For your initial post you must:
- Copy and paste your current draft of your Annotations and Writing Plan into a new thread.
- Select the thread of one (1) classmate, and post a reply claiming your intention to workshop their plan in this module’s activity. Please choose a classmate whose work has not yet been claimed for peer review. (If that thread does have another classmate who has already claimed it, move on to another unclaimed thread.)
- Complete the initial post by Thursday at 11:59 p.m. of your local time zone.
For your response post you must:
- Read through your selected classmate’s Annotations and Writing Plan and respond to all of the Writing Workshop questions.
My 1st classmate response needed.
4-5 – Tue Jul 21 09:11
The most valuable thing to in my profession is accountability. This can be viewed in two ways, either someone micromanages or gives employees the trust to do the necessary work. Both sides of this argument are very valid. Some employees need that person over their shoulder ensuring work is completed proficiently, while others tend feel like they are not trusted and may responded negatively to this approach. Also, on the of spectrum you may give some employees the trust and they do above and beyond what is required of them, but some may struggle and fall behind on their assignments.
Three key things that occur when accountability is met. Work is completely proficiently, employees tend to have better attitudes when trusted with accountability, and finally it relieves stress on supervisors. Proficiency allows employers to take on new project and funnel them down to the employees. When the employees have better attitudes from the trust, they gained they will look for more opportunities to take on tasks that are not normally their responsibility. Finally, if a supervisor can lean on their employees it will give them more time to help better the work environment.
The audience is anyone who has a job that deals with people on a day to day basis. The challenges are that not every human resources and customer service employer operate in the same way. There may be personnel restraints, or the staff may not be collocated with the employees they support. Also, there may be financial restrictions that don’t allow the company to have enough support to fully staff their agency. All things that will have to figured out through due process.
The goal is to establish a connect of how important accountability is human resource and customer service-based jobs. How accountability can be a driving force in the day to day operations. Also, if accountability fails how it can be the downfall to this type of work. The essay will need numbers from actual companies to provide information to support the main point of the essay.
I can collect data and polls from businesses. See how companies use accountability as a tool to help their companies and employees grow together. I will use data from both sides of my argument to help to sure how companies that balance accountability can positively grow.
1. Perez-Diaz, Pedro-Luis, et al. “Between Self-Regulation and Participatory Monitoring: Comparing Digital News Media Accountability Practices in Spain.” Media and Communication, vol. 8, no. 2, 2020, p. 112+. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link-gale-com.ezproxy.snhu.edu/apps/doc/A623569763/OVIC?u=nhc_main&sid=OVIC&xid=cdf131a9. Accessed 15 July 2020.2. Summarize your source.
2. The source provides information on how accountability is used in Spanish media. How their has to be a balance between giving the employee enough trust and work but not overwhelming them.
It seems this source is arguing accountability
This source is using this evidence to support the argument: That there is difficulties and tensions in accountability that production can thrive or be diminished from good and bad accountability. Even though this article is about social media and journalism but provides the same ideals that I am focusing on in my essay.
3. Credibility and Relevance
Personally, I believe the source is doing a good job of supporting its arguments because they explain positives and negatives accountability.
Explain the relevance of the source to your argument. I think this source will be very helpful in supporting my argument because they talk about transparency and it shows how the companies are willing to be held accountable. By being honest with employee and making all information public knowledge.
1. Doyle, Kevin M., and Richard D. Goffin. “ACCOUNTABILITY AND ACCURACY IN SUBORDINATES’ RATINGS OF THEIR SUPERVISORS’ PERFORMANCE.” Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, vol. 46, no. 9, 2018, p. 1449+. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link-gale-com.ezproxy.snhu.edu/apps/doc/A556734556/OVIC?u=nhc_main&sid=OVIC&xid=7178160d. Accessed 15 July 2020.
2. Summarize your source.
It seems this source is arguing that there are three types of accountability.
This source is using this evidence to support the argument: By explaining Self, Rate and External accountabilities. Explaining that one is being responsible for yourself or having someone responsible for you.
3. Credibility and Relevance
Explain the rationale for the credibility of the source by providing supporting evidence. (The article is from the scientific journal.
Personally, I believe the source is doing a good job of supporting its arguments because validate how all three of methodologies.
Explain the relevance of the source to your argument. I think this source will be very helpful in supporting my argument because shows how accountability has multiple forms. How you can use accountability to help grow your employees and make them bigger assets by allowing them to be accountable for their own actions.
1. Anderson, Kenneth. “NGO Accountability: Politics, Principles and Innovations.” American Journal of International Law, vol. 103, no. 1, Jan. 2009. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link-gale-com.ezproxy.snhu.edu/apps/doc/A206106507/OVIC?u=nhc_main&sid=OVIC&xid=d78faa7e. Accessed 15 July 2020.2. Summarize your source.
It seems this source is arguing accountability.
This source is using this evidence to support the argument: The current NGO accountability debate as fundamental questions and concepts; traditional responses through law, best practices, and donor regimes; consideration of accountability in the context of particular country settings; and forward-looking approaches to NGO accountability.
3. Credibility and Relevance
Explain the rationale for the credibility of the source by providing supporting evidence.
Personally, I believe the source is doing a good job of supporting its arguments because there is accountability in business.
Explain the relevance of the source to your argument. I think this source will be very helpful in supporting my argument because accountability is important in all forms of work
2nd response needed.
Writing Plan and Annotations (Writing Workshop) – Tue Jul 21 14:23
Writing Plan: Alcoholism is a disease
Argument:My main point is that addiction in general is a disease, and it should be treated as such. People need to stop looking down on individuals that struggle with addiction/alcoholism and accept the fact that isn’t just a choice. This relates to my field of work because I plan to become a substance abuse counselor, and help families that deal with this illness like mine had.
Key Points: Alcoholism was declared and illness years ago, Genetic and biological factors play a huge role, one’s environment and trauma also contribute to mental anguish that often leads to drinking
Audience: Individuals that are affected by alcoholism within their own lives or that want to help those those that are, even people who just want to learn more about it. A challenge for persuading these individuals could be some believing it is not an illness but rather a choice or a behavior.
Goal: I hope to accomplish an outcome where it is understood what someone goes through leading up to and concerning addiction, and how their brain functions differently than others, leaving them with no control. I want to persuade people into understanding the biology and circumstances behind my point of view.
Potential Resources: Research experiments could help give us insight to an addict’s behavior and thinking, psychologists can also contest to differences in behavior and choices. brain scans can show us how the brain of an alcoholic functions differently impairing decision making and creating impulses and urges, medical testing can show us how differently alcoholics organs function such as the liver breaking down the alcohol. Other medical testing can also prove if hereditary or not, and therapist’s insight can help us better understand how a person’s life experiences can help bring out the disease and worsen it along the way.
Alcoholism being declared an illness: Research experiments and psychologist understanding
Genetics and Biological factors: Brain scans and genetic/medical testing
Environment/ Traumatic Life Events: Therapists insight/ experience with addicts
Evidence: Aspects of my argument that evidence can support are, that the brain operates differently, that life changing events and trauma can lead to drinking and mental status changes, and that the body becomes dependent so along with each of these keys points integrating evidence would be the most effective.
Revision Strategy: The revision strategy I think would be the most beneficial would be using a checklist to make sure I have included everything I need to support me, but also to focus on development, and make sure I back up every detail and include every piece necessary. This would be the most effective for me personally, because I like to make sure all my ideas are connected and supported.
Feedback: I took my professor feedback with great consideration, I started researching other articles than the ones I previously selected and found much better sources with greater evidence and detail.
My first source is titled “Alcoholism is a Disease” written by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism found on the Opposing Viewpoints database. This source is arguing that Alcoholism is indeed a disease, and that it can be hereditary, and influenced by life events. This source is very creditable being written by a National Institute and I personally think the source does a great job supporting its argument by breaking down its symptoms, informing the audience that it is chronic, inherited, and can be caused by stress, friends and other factors in one’s life. The source also details that it is incurable but can be treated. I believe this source will be very beneficial to me in supporting my argument because I have the same viewpoints and plan to argue the same aspects.
My second source is also titled “Alcoholism is a Disease” written by Nicholas A. Pace found on the Opposing Viewpoints database. This source uses plenty of evidence to support that Alcoholism is an actual disease. Personally, I believe this source does an excellent job at using evidence to back up their arguments. Providing facts about the breaking down of alcohol in the liver, and the difference between a normal functioning liver and one of an alcoholic, and what a hangover is scientifically and why alcoholics can consume more alcohol than average. This source is relevant and helpful to my argument because it gives me evidence and facts to back up my stance.
My third source is titled “Alcoholism is Not a Disease” written by a clinical psychologist, Edward A. Dreyfus. This source was also found on the Opposing Viewpoints database and argues that Alcoholism is a choice, and a compulsive behavior. Personally, I believe this source does a good job in persuading people to believe it is a choice not a physical illness, although I disagree. This source is helpful to me, as I will work to counter-argue its claim in my essay. It gives me plenty of insight on the mindset of people who believe alcoholism is a choice rather than a disease they cannot get rid of.